Controller | Healthcare/Primary Care | Remote in Bay Area in San Francisco, CA at Vaco

Date Posted: 9/8/2022

Job Snapshot

Job Description

***Controller (Healthcare/Primary Care)***

***Remote in Bay Area***

***$150k - $170k + Equity + Benefits***

About the Company:

Our client is an investor‐backed network of concierge medical practices in California. The company primarily grows by acquiring concierge practices and integrating them into our network. Started in July 2018, and currently has 30 team members with 6 clinic locations in California, and one new location under contract in Boston, MA. They are based in San Francisco and currently seeking a full‐time Controller to join their corporate team. This position will report to the CFO and also will be responsible for managing two staff. This position will be based in the San Francisco area but can be remote with some days onsite on need basis. Approximately 70% of the role will consist of ensuring a GAAP‐compliant and audit-ready financial structure. The remaining 30% of the role will be to provide financial planning support and may include various strategic financial projects as we seek to rapidly grow its business via acquisitions and direct physician hires over the next several years.

About the Role:

Basic Accounting Functions:

  • The Controller will be tasked with owning the entire financial "stack" of operations, from closing the monthly books, preparing GAAP compliant and auditable consolidated financial statements, presenting high‐level financial statements to the CFO and CEO (and sometimes sharing information with the Board) and monitoring financial operations on an ongoing basis.
  • The Controller will manage the Staff Accountants who are responsible for billing members, processing accounts payable, and managing portions of the payroll.
  • The Controller is expected to provide strategic guidance on all accounting systems efficiency improvements to leverage technology.

Basic Controller Functions:

  • The Controller will be responsible for employee benefits
  • renewals, payroll processing and employee onboarding/termination, vendor management, commercial
  • insurance renewals and compliance with lease requirements, real property lease negotiation, company
  • credentialing for patient insurance, implementing expense controls, ensuring a strong internal control structure that eliminates risks of common fraud, and assisting in the creation of an annual budget.
  • The Controller is responsible for delivering the annual audited financials as well as the LLC's tax returns and investor K‐1s.

Additional Functions:

  • We are seeking a finance leader who can assist us in evaluating new growth opportunities as well as improving our overall financial operations within our existing lines of business.
  • This would include conducting accounting‐related due diligence associated with new practice acquisitions (such as creating quality‐of‐earnings reports, etc.), leading the post‐acquisition financial integration, ensuring proper accounting of each deal and ensuring post‐deal payments are made in a timely manner, and also providing a comparative analysis of revenue and cost across the practices.
  • Internally, the Controller would be responsible for assisting the CFO with monitoring cash flow across multiple entities during a high‐growth period and making strategic recommendations to the CFO on how to improve profitability and improve the efficiency of capital deployment.

Job Requirements

*The Controller will be responsible for employee benefits renewals, payroll processing and employee onboarding/termination, vendor management, commercial insurance renewals and compliance with lease requirements, real property lease negotiation, company credentialing for patient insurance, implementing expense controls, ensuring a strong internal control structure that eliminates risks of common fraud, and assisting in the creation of an annual budget.